Custom Silicone Apollo Ram Air Intake with Heat Reflective Tape

New Custom Ram Air Intake – I was going to wait until i installed the amazing heat reflective tape I found, but since it’s a bit unusual, I’ll update that in it’s own post. Currently, I have a K&N typhoon CAI, and I installed the HPSI Ram air tube last summer, and I was playing around with a ram air intake system. I found a 45º silicone coupler, and was able to match it up with a universal K&N Apollo filter I found for CHEAP on ebay. I plugged the hole on the new Apollo, and get the temp readings from the same bung on the K&N. The Apollo sits right in the RAM air tube, just like the HPSI intake. This filter is quieter than the K&N, so you’re not always hearing that much turbo “flutter” sound that some have thought to sound like actual turbo flutter. Now the blow off sound is more pronounced, as I drilled out the Forge plate a bit more, and this is now pulling air from down below and through the front grill. Since I’ve put in a open mesh up there, I’m hoping to get as much air flow as possible.

I also like the large K&N heat shield, and I wanted to keep that as well, for more heat reflection. I removed it, and used a sawzall to cut the bottom out, to make room for the filter down there. I was still able to bolt it on from the top.


*heat reflective tape information below*
Next up – custom RAM air is now finished. Here is a better view of the Apollo filter joining with the HPSI Ram air tube. I pressed two small holes on the top of the tube, and used tie-wraps to secure it to the metal frame bracket. This gave me a better, more solid, connection, and I didn’t have to spend all the $$ on their intake. As mentioned earlier, this is a K&N typhoon intake, with some Yoderian Wizardry. I forgot to take a pic, but I also cut off the top / front of the factory air tube, just inside the front grille, This allows for actual air flow, much like the newer 2014-16 models with the plastic tube.


I wrapped the intake with reflective heat wrap. This stuff is 56% more efficient than the cheap ebay gold stuff. I did some research, and this is what many of the racers use (because #racecar not) I purchgased 1 ft (1ft X 15″) which was $33.00 plus shipping, and is called Aerolite-Shield. You can find it at Earls Indy



Spark Plug / MPG Issues / Gap Size

*for reference only – Checked new turbo wastegate settings – it was set to 8 mm. Per  @starscream5000 ‘s suggestion, I backed the wastegate down to 6.5 mm. The new turbo, even without the tune, was pushing close to 27 psi on WOT( I had my alarm set at 26 lbs, and I would hit it frequently) Pulled all four Brisk racing plugs out – notes on my receipt, as well as speaking to the rep @ Eurocompulsion, the plugs should have been gapped to 0.20″ – but instead I found they they wouldn’t even fit onto my gap tester – putting them at about 0.18″

I should have never listened to what was recorded and checked them myself – but I didn’t. I’ve now gapped the (same) plugs to 0.22″, as I still haven’t heard anything from  @Greg@EC . Took it on a drive for 30 miles last night. I didn’t see a huge difference in instantaneous mileage, but that is hard to compare. My mostly highway drive, and some usual city driving was 30.5 MPG average. This was higher than I got on the 350 mile commute home on the interstate from Ohio to Chicago – which was only about 27-28 MPG.

This morning, on the 9.65 city commute in rush hour traffic, I was able to feather the throttle and get 27 MPG. Before the new turbo, my best record on this commute was 33 MPG, but only hit that once. I also did not note any “chugging” this morning between 1400-1800 RPM, as (  @Exitus04 &) I had previously encountered, but it has only been one trip. Only pushed up to 26 psi once since, but that was unloading in 3rd gear up a hill, and overall, the boost looks about 3 psi lower.

This is not enough data to formulate any conclusions, I’m just data logging to see how things progress. As noted in the HPSI video, my wastegate started moving slightly @ 6 psi, but moved significantly closer to 7 or 8 psi. This also corresponds to why my boost was so high.